Search engine optimization or SEO is a process by which the quantity and quality of traffic to a web site can be improved. The higher ranked sites are on search engine result pages (SERP), the more visitors a website naturally gets. The ultimate goal of SEO is to get high volume and quality traffic to your website.
Black Hat SEO
Black Hat SEO attempts to improve rankings in ways that are not approved by search engines and that use deception. Black Hat SEO goes against current search engine guidelines. Here is a list of some black hat techniques used to mislead a website’s ranking:
- Keyword stuffing – using keywords highly on your website
- Invisible Text – Putting a list of keywords in white text on a white background that will be invisible to visitors but can be read by search engines
- Doorway page – fake page that user will never see
- Duplicate Content – Posting the same content to multiple locations on your website
- Link farming – Other companies promise that you will post a link on their website if they post a link for you
If you are caught using black hat techniques, your site may be banned from low ranking or result page.
White HAT SEO
On the other hand, White Hat SEO refers to the use of good practice methods to achieve high rankings. They are transparent and comply with search engine guidelines.
White HAT techniques include:
- Researching and analyzing the usefulness and functionality of your audience, your website and your site metrics
- Rewrite the meta data to include more relevant information
- Improving your content to include more keywords and keep people on your page
- Redesign to make your website more attractive and functional
White Hat SEO focuses on readability, content relevance, well-designed structure, and well-written content. When used properly, it can rank your site high using ethical techniques, good content, and appropriate keywords.